The health and safety of our teacher candidates and the students in their host classrooms is of primary importance to our faculty. Teacher candidates have a professional obligation to undertake the required training noted below.
Teacher candidates in programmes that involve laboratory work and/or the use of specialized equipment will be required to undertake additional training. All required training must be complete prior to the start of the practicum.
To protect our teacher candidates and our education partners in the workplace, Boards of Education require the MANDATORY documentation noted below. Requirements may vary by Board. Timely completion of this documentation is considered a professional requirement of the program.
Health and Safety uploads for both SCHOOL PRACTICUM (YEAR ONE and YEAR TWO and COMMUNITY PRACTICUM (YEAR ONE) should be uploaded using the links on the Community Practicum Website.
Failure to complete these health and safety requirements in a timely manner will result in removal from practicum until the requirements are met.
Prior to the start of school placements, ALL TCs are required to
- Present a Criminal Background Check to the Board/School as per Board regulations. Criminal-Record-Check-Procedures
- View the Ontario Ministry of Labour Health & Safety at Work e-Learning Video and upload a copy of the "Proof of Completion"using the link in the Community Practicum website or follow the "How To" link on your PIMS home page for detailed information. Links will be live beginning September 2019.
- Print and sign this 2019 WSIB Student Declaration. Upload a copy using the link in the Community Practicum website or follow the "How To" link on your PIMS home page for detailed information. Links will be live beginning September 2019.
If you are placed in Toronto DSB, Peel DSB, OR York Region DSB, please carefully read these additional requirements
- Toronto DSB requires the University to send a list of names of all TCs who have uploaded their "Proof of Completion" to the Community Practicum Website. If you have not uploaded your documentation, you will be removed from practicum.
- TCs placed in Peel DSB must attach a copy of the "Proof of Completion" for the Ministry of Labour Health & Safety at Work e-Learning to the Criminal Background Check Submission at the Board Office.
- TCs placed in York Region District School Board must complete the Ministry of Labour Health & Safety at Work e-Learning Video AND complete the YRDSB safety training modules, which are available online. There is no cost involved. TCs must complete the modules prior to the start of practicum and present the certificate of completion to the host school on the practicum start date. Registration with a York U email address will allow TCs to register for the modules. Only those with a valid York U addresses will have access. An updated link is pending from YRDSB. Teacher Candidates can provide proof by printing a copy of their Learning Achievement Record in Connect2Learn. Some TCs may have completed their WHMIS training over the summer. In this case, a completed WHMIS quiz answer sheet is the record of completion. A copy of the Learning Achievement Record must be made available to a Ministry of Labour Inspector, upon request.
Failure to complete these health and safety requirements in advance of the start date will result in denied access to the school.
At the beginning of the School Practicum AND Community Pracitcum
- Have a copy of your Criminal Background in your possession to show to the school or community organization on your first day.
- Print a blank copy of the Student Health and Safety Checklist.
- Bring one printed copy to your host school and one copy to your community practicum.
- Complete the Health and Safety Checklist with your Site Coordinator or Mentor Teacher in your host school, and again with your community practicum organization.
- Submit the completed checklists using the link in the Community Practicum website or follow the "How To" link on your PIMS home page for detailed information.
Failure to complete these health and safety requirements in a timely manner will result in removal from practicum until the requirements are met. If you have any concerns in completing the checklist at your school, please advise your Practicum Facilitator immediately. If you have any concerns completing the checklist at your community practicum, please advise your EDPR1000 Course Director immediately.
The Event Risk Management Form must be completed prior to any field trip. A new form is required for every field trip. Completed forms must be submitted to your Practicum Facilitator prior to departure.